Penhill House is situated overlooking a bend in the River Taw on the edge of the North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, and the occupants have farmed the land on the banks of the estuary since the house’s construction in the 17th century. The formal south-facing farmhouse frontage masks a busy accretion of barns, sheds and lean-tos arranged around the remains of a working farmyard to the north.

In 2019 Connolly Wellingham were appointed to undertake a Feasibility Study assessing opportunities for converting two former agricultural barns to new uses sympathetic to their age and condition.

Cover image – ‘Barnstaple Bridge at Sunset’ by J.M.W.Turner c.1814